Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The British Are Coming

The British Are Coming
Spring Breeze
Sweet Nothings
The Abduction of Psyche
¡¡¡¡ TIDINGS from Sue a day or two after passed across Jude like a withering blast. ¡¡¡¡ Before reading the letter he was led to suspect that its contents were of a somewhat serious kind by catching sight of the signature-- which was in her full name, never used in her correspondence with him since her first note: ¡¡¡¡ MY DEAR JUDE,--I have something to tell you which perhaps you will not be surprised to hear, though certainly it may strike you as being accelerated (as the railway companies say of their trains). Mr. Phillotson and I are to be married quite soon--in three or four weeks. We had intended, as you know, to wait till I had gone through my course of training and obtained my certificate, so as to assist him, if necessary, in the teaching. But he generously says he does not see any object in waiting, now I am not at the training school. It is so good of him, because the awkwardness of my situation has really come about by my fault in getting expelled. ¡¡¡¡ Wish me joy. Remember I say you are to, and you mustn't refuse!-- Your affectionate cousin, ¡¡¡¡ SUSANNA FLORENCE MARY BRIDEHEAD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The British Are Coming"
1 条评论 - 显示原始文章