Thursday, September 4, 2008

John Collier Lady Godiva painting

John Collier Lady Godiva paintingCaravaggio Supper at Emmaus paintingCaravaggio Judith Beheading Holofernes painting
weeping to embrace whom she thought her son. Like the crowd, I stood dumbfounded; Reginald Hector, half-mad with alarm, caught his granddaughter in his arms and shouted questions at her: What had happened? Who had attacked her? But she shook away and ran to me. Forgetting my mask I held out my arms -- ah, Founder, she was worse mauled than on the night Croaker beached her! -- but she halted just before me and screamed at me to "keep my promise." Men with microphones came running.
"Youswore!" she cried. "You swore you'd pass Him if I slept with you!" Beside herself, she snatched a microphone and pointed to the man she thought was I, his wounds being kissed by my mother. "That man is a passèd Grand Tutor!" she shouted into it. "Don't dare kill your own Grand Tutor!" To me again then she cried, "I keptmy promise! You keep yours!"
I was dizzy with shock. Reginald Hector ran in small circles with his hands upon his ears. The Telerama people signaled one another furiously, and spotlights fingered all about us. To perfect the confusion a squad of Stoker's motorcycle-guards now roared around the corner of the house whence Anastasia had appeared; they drew up near the gate, sirens a-growl, cursing the crowd from their way. Stoker himself led them, black-jacketed

No comments: