Saturday, August 30, 2008

Vincent van Gogh Roses painting

Vincent van Gogh Roses paintingEdmund Blair Leighton The Accolade paintingEdmund Blair Leighton The End of The Song painting
contrary, and affirmed to me his confession. So instead, with an aching throat, I briefly rehearsed my objections to the Student-Unionist doctrines of self-suppression and the insignificance of the individual student, and he heard me out impassively.
"I'm not speaking as a New Tammanian or an Informationalist," I declared.
"Really."
"Honestly. I've seen how selfish lifeis, in lots of ways; and anyhow a Grand Tutor doesn't take sides in varsity
"Ah."
But Commencement, I insisted, was always of the individual student, never of studentdom as such -- a mere abstraction, in my opinion -- and so while I condemned selfishness as heartily as he, it seemed to me that its passing opposite was not the unnatural and unfeeling selflessness of the dedicated Student-Unionist, but the warm unselfishness apparent in men like Leonid Andreich Alexandrov, whom I took to be more representative of Nikolayan studentdom than was his stepfather. "Ifelt more sympathy for him than

No comments: